Friday, October 10, 2008

Stage fright...


XOXO Phoebe here your sources to understand 'human around you.

Our blog its kinda...'dead'...since last Sunday. Maybe because of presentations, assignments and stuffs. Anyway, as you know from the title I'm going to talk about stage fear.

Stage fright
or performance anxiety refers to an anxiety, fear or persistent phobia related to performance in front of an audience or camera. In the context of public speaking, this is known as glossophobia , one of the most common phobias. This form of anxiety can precede or accompany participation in any activity involving public self-presentation. -According to Wikipedia

I kinda do some "interviews" among my friends and asked them why so nervous about presentation. Mostly, the answer is "Don't know la, just scare of people." How can we 'scare of people' we know? I mean during presentation, thats all our friends right? Yea, I suppose tell this to myself during my presentations. Haiz...those who's in my human com presentation will know what I'm talking about la. Everything should works out nicely cause I've already practice many times. But somehow,I don't know why my heart beats so fast, forehead kept on sweating,right hand and left leg kept on shaking while waiting for my turn to present. Then when I'm about to start, my mind just go "BLIND". I don't know what to say, what to do. The whole presentation, I was totally LOST!!! I guess its like some kind of chemistry or whatever psychology department in my body tells me that I'm nervous and I go and listen to them. From calming and chilling, turn to nervous and anxious. Then I just screwed my presentation. Honestly, I almost cry out but then I still didn't let my emotional lead me, means I'm still conscious but not for 100%.

After chilling and everything get normal, I was thinking why am I so ... you know. I remember that I wasn't that scare at my last sem presentations. So, I kept on thinking for a reason. I "preview" back my memory and try to figure what happened during my presentation. SUDDENLY... I think I find out whats wrong with me.

Firstly, before the presentation. I'm nervous and scare because I feel uncertain as to whether I will do well or not. I'm sure everyone do think like that right? We tend to think that how to do to gain more marks, how to present to make it more interesting, how to use special words and etc. then we'll worry about is these okay? is that okay? Should I just...? Do I need to...? Millions of tiny matters run through our minds before our presentations.

The image “http://dimdima.com/smartkids/..%5Cimages%5Csmartkids_image%5Cstage_fear.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Then, during the presentation. I'm lost,anxious, worried... because I kept on worried about how others judge me, my friends, outsiders, and especially my lecturer who give me marks based on my presentation! I'm worry of can others understand what am I talking or not. Are people listening? Is everything going under my control? Why people are talking? Are they interested on my topic? And I ended up...LOST in the middle of my presentation. Plus, with people's "scary eyes" all looking at you, you'll felt like dig a hole and stuck yourself inside there. Yea, so thats my sharing. I think there's only one way to solve this, which is do not let your mentally tells you what to do. Do not let your feelings lead you. Just think rationally and speak/deliver what every message you have to. That's it!

No comments: